Timeline & History

Walls that tell stories

It's with reasonable certainty that we believe this house was built in the 2nd half of the 16th century. However, the keystone of the bricked-up doorway arch on the west side has been preserved and has the year 1586 on it. 

It's with reasonable certainty that we believe this house was built in the 2nd half of the 16th century. However, the keystone of the bricked-up doorway arch on the west side has been preserved and has the year 1586 on it. The wide portal made of granite on the east with a little red-white-red sign on its keystone leads into the huge hall. A freestanding granite pillar and the mighty arches emphasize the sophisticated, elegant effect of this room. From here (used as guest rooms today), you can reach the study, the dining hall, and the kitchen. 

Originally, this hall was supposedly used to accommodate the wagons of carriage drivers who were passing through. A staircase leads to another huge hall with central pillars on the upper floor, which is strongly reminiscent of the chapter house of a monastery. 

The very probable existence of a chapel in the house is also hinted at by the discovery of clay floor tiles, which were made available to the local history museum. Due to renovations made in the past few years necessary to run a modern guest and accommodations establishment, the house has lost much of its original character, yet guests can still feel a mystical touch of the house's tradition and centuries-old history. 

Owners of the house

According to common knowledge, the house was built as a monastery around 1580 and later used as an inn. However, it is difficult to determine the exact date of reallocation. A plaque that is now in the local history museum indicates that around 1750, a certain ANTONY GREIL and his wife ANNA MARIA SIRELIN owned the inn. This ANTONY GREIL may have been the brother of famous Baroque painter JAKOB PHILIPP GREIL and the father of less well-known but very gifted local artist TOBIAS GREIL. 

The other owners are more difficult to determine but the names FLORA, PRUGG, and KURZ are well documented.  

In 1914, ALOIS NETZER finally took over Gasthof zur Traube. In 1957, his son RUDOLF NETZER became the sole owner of the inn, and he initiated the first large renovation. Thanks to an upswing of tourism and the energetic cooperation of all family members, Gasthof Traube continues to enjoy great popularity even after more than 400 years of existence. ASTRID NETZER, married to HUBERT FUCHS, took over the business in 1978 and managed it in an exemplary manner until 1998. She was a very popular proprietor, and many improvements were made in the house. Gasthof Traube was a family business, and since her son Harald learned the profession of cooking and showed the most interest in carrying on management of the inn, Astrid handed the business over to her son HARALD FUCHS in 1998. Since then, Harald and his wife Carla (née Theiner) have remodeled and equipped Gasthof Traube with all the comforts necessary to satisfy today's discerning guests.  

Impressions

Gasthof Traube in the very beginning
Margarethe Netzer, Anna Köhle, Rudolf Netzer, a guest, and Maria Netzer
Pfunds
Keystone from 1586
Gasthof Traube in the very beginning
Old photo of Gasthof Traube (1886)
Gasthof zur Traube in 1960

Hotel brochure

Download and
flip through our  
hotel brochure.


more

Reviews

We are delighted to
receive positive feedback
from our guests.


more

360° photos

Explore Hotel Traube
with panoramic
photos.


more

Contact

Fuchs family
Stuben 10
A-6542 Pfunds, Austria

T. +43 5474 5210
info@traube-pfunds.at 

Videos of the Tyrolean Oberland

rotate